Thursday, June 13, 2013

More on Mad Men

I missed this Emily Nussbaum article on “Mad Men” ’s Don Draper problem. It's worth a read.

Ta-Nehisi Coates has been thinking about it and now thinks Mad Men Has Become a Bad Comic Book. "We grant comic books that license because they are arched over decades, forged by different writers and editors. Some writers emphasize one aspect of backstory more than others, and whole events are often retconned into oblivion. Either way I don't think backstory is so much the problem, as the belief that backstory has more explanatory power than it actually does."

I definitely agree with them that the characters other than Don have lost the depth that made them interesting. And for all the focus on Don, I have not been captivated. I suspect the finale will have some big reveal but it won't make up for the whole season.

No comments: