Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Real American Exceptionalism

The Real American Exceptionalism "What is this American exceptionalism Republicans so venerate? After interviewing many Republican leaders,  Washington Post Reporter Karen Tumulty concludes it is the belief that America ‘is inherently superior to the world’s other nations’.  It is a widely held belief.  Indeed, most Americans believe our superiority is not only inherent but divinely ordained.  A survey by the Public Religious Research Institute and the Brookings Institution found that 58 percent of Americans agree with the statement, ‘God has granted America a special role in human history.’

Let me make it clear at the outset.  I too believe in American exceptionalism, although I don’t think God has anything to do with it.  But I suspect my perspective will find little favor among Republicans in general and Tea Party members in particular.  For I believe that America is exceptional in the advantages we’ve had over other nations, not what we’ve done with those advantages."

No comments: