Sunday, February 05, 2006

Digital Camera Futures

cnet has an interesting article on the future of digital cameras. With Kodak and Nikon exiting the film business and Konica Minolta exiting the camera business all together, digital has become the accepted norm.

New camera models will incorporate interesting changes. While image stabilization will be the hot trend this year, and its easy to expect better batteries and screens, we're starting to see more innovative things. New camera shapes are coming, new liquid lens technology, and better software that could do things like identify faces, avoid pictures with the subjects eyes closed. We're starting to see wi-fi enabled cameras and new ones could have GPS systems to record where the photo was taken. That would really help flickr tags.

4 comments:

iLL Man said...

Howard. Just to let you know, I have nominated you for 'Blog Of The Week' at A Mischief Of Magpies http://amischiefofmagpies.blogspot.com/

cheers.

Howard said...

Thanks very much. Everyone please go to his site and vote for me :). There's good stuff to read there.

Anonymous said...

I am such a Luddite. I *still* prefer 35mm. It gives me better control over exposure, arpeture, zoom...and I get better skin tones. And that delay between pressing the shutter and the actual picture being taken drives me crazy.

Case in point: I shot about 40 pictures at my son's birthday...deleted all but 5, and even those 5 were not that good. Went for a walk at the local state park with the kids...shot about 40 pictures. Three-quarters of these will be keepers with over half worthy of a photo album.

I remain unconvinced on digital cameras.

Anonymous said...

Mike

Get a 35mm digital. A camera is all about light threw a lens. The better the lens the better the picture. I have a Canon Rebel XT and the pictures are amazing and there is no shutter lag. I get better results then I used to with film.