Friday, February 11, 2011

Dear TiVo

You're still the best TV solution for me. I've had a Series 3 since it came out and found no reason to upgrade to the Premiere. I've got HD and Netflix streaming already, it's not adding much for me. Here's what I want.

First a simple thing. If you're not recording something and a show comes on the tuned channel that I've rated three thumbs down, change the freaking channel! If I have the TV on in the background, there's no excuse for me ever looking up and seeing All My Children!

Also, fix the bug so that if I organize the Now Playing List with folders (hit 2 in Now Playing), I can still use Channel Up/Down while viewing the details of one program in a folder, like I can when not in a folder.

This is the feature I really want. I want to be able to pause any show. You should get face recognition software from Apple (like they use in iPhoto) and look for faces in the frame. Get the cast list for the show and at the start of the recording (or playback), get images of the cast from IMDb or Google Image search (search for the cast and the show title) and tell me who the actor on screen is. Then give me access to IMDb so I can figure out where I know them from and how old they are now and when the show was made and if they got nominated for this performance, etc. I think this is mostly what I want an iPad for. This is the only thing I can think of that would make me buy a new model before this one breaks.

No comments: