Wednesday, December 31, 2008

How Many Rocket Strikes Against Israel

I knew that Israel claims the attack on Gaza is in response to repeated rockets fired from Gaza into southern Israel, but I couldn't find out the details. Most interviews and articles merely repeated that statement but provided no details. While I haven't been following the news that closely this month, I certainly hadn't heard anything about rocket attacks in Israel.

This is where I find WikiNews works really well. Instead of new articles that provide increasingly less background information, usually a single article is extended and linked to further background info. This article, Israeli air strikes hit government compounds in Gaza from Dec 27th pointed me at this List of Qassam rocket attacks in Israel in 2008. Assuming it's accurate and complete, there were a lot in the first half of the year, then a ceasefire from July 10th to Nov 21st. And since then 11 in November and well over 300 rockets and mortars fired in December before the Israeli strikes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good info. I have heard on NPR various claims about severity of the attacks and response from both sides today. Even one would be unacceptable but 300 over such a short period of time! They should mention such statistics.