Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Galaxy Size Comparison Chart

Rhys Taylor spent a Saturday making a Galaxy Size Comparison Chart "The images I used were selected purely on an ad-hoc basis. Obviously, the Milky Way had to be there. Since really giant galaxies are many times larger than the Milky Way, and those were the ones I particularly wanted to show, that basically ruled out showing any dwarf galaxies (like the LMC and SMC for example). I tried to get a nice selection of well-known, interesting objects. I was also a little limited in that I needed high-resolution images which completely mapped the full extent of each object (often, because of a small field of view, only the central regions are mapped)."

NewImage

See his post for another chart that includes IC1101 which blows all the others out of the water.

No comments: