Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I've only read the first Harry Potter book but I've seen and liked all the films. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the fifth film in the series and perhaps my least favorite. I know as the books have gotten longer it's been harder to fit them into a single film. At 138 minutes this was the shortest film, which seems to have been an odd decision to make.

Harry confronted Voldemort in the last film and this film again begins with Harry in the world of muggles. After surviving an attack by Dementors, where he is forced to use magic in front of his muggle cousin, he's put on trial to be expelled from Hogwarts. Of course he's not but we're introduced to the Ministry of Magic which seems to not believe in the return of "he who shall not be named". They also appoint Dolores Umbridge (Imelda Staunton) to a position at Hogwarts to watch things. She's in all pink and sickeningly polite but she's hiding an agenda to cripple the school. Students are supposed to learn magic by reading and writing not casting spells and Dumbledore seems content to allow this so he's obviously hiding something too.

Meanwhile the students start off dubious of Harry's claims but some come around and he surreptitiously starts training them. He also has his first kiss with Cho Chang (Katie Leung) who's role is important but small. In fact all of the roles are small. This film seemed seemed both rushed and slow to me. Each scene seemed abbreviated and you needed to recognize recurring characters because they weren't introduced. As for new characters, I don't know what their names are because they were mentioned just once. There was little sense at all that this covered an entire school year. Yet, with all these rushed scenes, the film seemed a bit slow because no side stories were developed to any depth so we were forced to wait for the inevitable final confrontation.

The final battle was worth waiting for. The final battle had lots of magic going on and I enjoyed it more than the magic fight in the second Lord of the Rings. I saw it in IMAX in 3D and only last the 30 minutes or so are in 3D. While a few times it looked a bit cheesy at other times it was very very nice. If you have the opportunity to see it in 3D, I recommend it.

Oddly I wasn't really frightened by Voldemort or the Dementors. They appear, do their stuff and then are dispatched. But the new teacher, Mrs. Umbridge, scared the shit out of me. I found her political machinations reminded me all too much of Karl Rove and Alberto Gonzales. She says what she does is for the good of the school and the students but manages to "teach for the test", perform warrantless eavesdropping, use extraordinary interrogation techniques, and her position is all based on inaccurate intelligence. What bothered me most was the ease with which she did all this and how all students and teachers seemed powerless before her. This went on for too much of the movie for my comfort but maybe more people will realize the references Rowling was obviously making.

Harry manages to grow up in this film, with little help from the adults. His isolation from his friends through much of the film gives a bleaker feel than previous ones. I know things will get darker, but I hope he continues realizes the importance of his friends and the future filmmakers emphasize this more.

4 comments:

The Dad said...

I'm in the middle of reading Order of the Phoenix, so far, not bad, but it annoys me how she makes the ministry so adamantly opposed to the idea that Voldemort has returned. It seems to go along with how in other books whenever Harry did something like use magic out of school, he just KNEW he'd be expelled, just KNEW his friends had abandoned him...I just wanna yell, "lighten up kid!"

What no review of the new iLife suite?

Howard said...

Haven't gotten iLife or iWork 08 yet, both look good.

Anonymous said...

Howard my dear, you should just read the books. You're right in that this was the longest book in the series and yet the shortest film. They cut a LOT out... basically all the side stories you wanted. Additionally, they took the liberty of changing some of the plot. Cho wasn't the one who did what she did. Her role in the book was purely romantic so not too important at all. Also, as much as Umbridge scared you in the movie, you really really really despise her in the book. Like really. I don't think the person who played her did her role justice. In fact, the only new character who I think did a marvelous interpretation of her book character was Luna. Excellent casting there. She'll have bigger roles later on in the series as well.

Howard said...

Yeah I think I'm starting to want to the read the books.