Friday, October 07, 2005

Did Bush Say God Told Him To Go To War?

There are a lot of articles today about Bush supposedly saying God told him to invade Iraq. This Reuters article seems the most balanced.

This supposedly happened in a June 2003 Israeli Palistinian summit. After the summit Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas said Bush said "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them." It's coming up now because a BBC broadcast last night mentioned it.

Yesterdat at a Press Briefing Scott McClellan when asked if Bush ever said "Gold told me go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan...and end the tyranny in the Iraq" replied "No, that's absurd. He's never made such comments."

This was brought up at the time, including this article named Who would Jesus invade?. But really, we know the man claims to be religious, do we really need to be obsessing on what he said in a closed meeting that was translated from english to arabic and back to english. Such things are easily misconstrued. Then again, if it's true, it's scary, mostly because it's the same kind of crap that isalmic fundamentalists say to justify their actions. Then again, this instance isn't clear enough to make the case and it wasn't 2 years ago either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree about not caring too much about it: IMO, by now he and his government has said (read, lied) enough and done enough to make this news, even if it is true (which I am inclined to believe), generally, irrelevant and not surprising.