Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Movie Quotes

The American Film Institute has released their list of the Top 100 Movie Quotes of all time. 9 of the quotes were from 1942, and 6 were from 1939. Casablanca has the most quotes with 6. It's a pretty good list, but of course the purpose of any such list is to spark debate...

I don't know as "We rob banks" from Bonnie And Clyde deserves to be at number 41, if on the list at all. Number 50 is "Houston, we have a problem" from Apollo 13 but I think this was famous from it actually happening, not from the movie. And as much as I love Dead Poet's Society, I don't think it's quote (at number 95) is worthy of the list. "Luke, I am your father" is bigger than that. So is John Wayne's "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." (name the film). Here's another good one: "I'm Spartacus". It amazes me that nothing by Christopher Walken is on the list but I'm not sure what quote should make it. Yul Brynner should have made the list either with The King and I's "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera!" or "So it is written, so let it be done" from The Ten Commandments.

I've seen all the movies mentioned except four: The Godfather Part II, A Streetcar Named Desire, Beyond the Forest (never heard of this one), and Auntie Mame

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have never seen Godfather part II. What is wrong with you. Get off the couch and go get it. It's one of the best movies of all time. How did you watch the first one and not want to see the second one?

Howard said...

Yeah I know, it's the best movie I've never seen (that was All About Eve for a while). To tell the truth I didn't love the Godfather, I don't think it aged well. I thought Goodfellas was far better. I plan to watch both Godfather I and II back-to-back but need to find 5 hours to do it.

Anonymous said...

You can't find 5 hours, your on sabbatical