Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Oscar Nominations

Oscar nominations came out today.

Leaving out the shorts here are the number of nominations per film (those checked I've seen):

  • [x] 14 La La Land
  • [x] 8 Arrival
  • [x] 8 Moonlight
  • [ ] 6 Hacksaw Ridge
  • [ ] 6 Lion
  • [x] 6 Manchester by the Sea
  • [ ] 4 Fences
  • [x] 4 Hell or High Water
  • [x] 3 Hidden Figures
  • [x] 3 Jackie
  • [ ] 2 A Man Called Ove
  • [ ] 2 Deepwater Horizon
  • [ ] 2 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • [ ] 2 Florence Foster Jenkins
  • [ ] 2 Kubo and the Two Strings
  • [ ] 2 Moana
  • [ ] 2 Passengers
  • [x] 2 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • [x] 1 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
  • [ ] 1 13th
  • [x] 1 20th Century Women
  • [ ] 1 Allied
  • [x] 1 Captain Fantastic
  • [x] 1 Doctor Strange
  • [ ] 1 Elle
  • [ ] 1 Fire at Sea
  • [x] 1 Hail, Caesar!
  • [x] 1 I Am Not Your Negro
  • [ ] 1 Jim: The James Foley Story
  • [ ] 1 Land of Mine
  • [ ] 1 Life, Animated
  • [x] 1 Loving
  • [ ] 1 My Life as a Zucchini
  • [x] 1 Nocturnal Animals
  • [x] 1 O.J.: Made in America
  • [x] 1 Silence
  • [x] 1 Star Trek Beyond
  • [ ] 1 Suicide Squad
  • [x] 1 Sully
  • [ ] 1 Tanna
  • [ ] 1 The Jungle Book
  • [x] 1 The Lobster
  • [ ] 1 The Red Turtle
  • [ ] 1 The Salesman
  • [ ] 1 Toni Erdmann
  • [ ] 1 Trolls
  • [ ] 1 Zootopia

I've seen everything nominated in just one category, Original Screenplay. If I see just three, Hacksaw Ridge, Lion and Fences I'll complete 9 more. Then I need to see 7 more with two nominations, 16 more with one, and the shorts. The only categories I've seen none of the films, other than the shorts (and I've caught one of the animated ones), are Foreign Language and surprisingly Animated Feature.

I'm not particularly interested in Hacksaw Ridge but given it got six noms I'll see it. Other than the foreign language films I think the only one I hadn't heard of is Jim: The James Foley Story up for best song. There's nothing I really don't want to see, though I have only little interest in Suicide Squad, mostly to see how bad it is.

I liked but didn't love La La Land, so I'm not thrilled that it tied All About Eve and Titanic for most nominations with 14. Titantic went on to win 11 awards, tying the most with Ben-Hur and The Return of the King. I hope it doesn't tie those films, but I think they're both a bit overrated. All About Eve though is great, if you haven't seen it, see it!

Some of my favorite films of the year were shut out. I'm most disappointed about Swiss Army Man which I would have given a best picture nom and original screenplay (over any of the ones given) and I would have given it best score. I also really liked Miles Ahead and The Birth of a Nation. I also would have given Hunt for the Wilderpeople an original screenplay nom over anything nominated, it was hilarious and touching.

I did pretty well in my nomination predictions.

  • For Picture my 8 picks all got nominations and I just missed one for Hacksaw Ridge.
  • For Director I got 4 out of 5, missing Mel Gibson for Hacksaw Ridge for Scorsese's Silence.
  • For Actress I got 4 out of 5, missing Ruth Negga in Loving for Amy Adams in Arrival. I'm fine with that
  • For Actor I got 4 out of 5, missing Viggo Mortensen in Captain Fantastic for Joel Edgerton in Loving. I'm also fine with that.
  • For Supporting Actor I got 3 of 5, missing Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea and Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals
  • For Supporting Actress I got 5 out of 5.
  • For Adapted Screenplay I got 4 out of 5 missing Lion for Nocturnal Animals
  • For Original Screenplay I got 4 out of 5 missing The Lobster (which I hated) for Loving.
  • For Documentary I got 3 of 5 missing Fire at Sea and Life, Animated, neither of which I've seen.
  • For Animated Feature I got 5 out of 5, without having seen any of them

The Oscars are given out Sun Feb 26th.

No comments: