Friday, September 25, 2015

Trevor Noah’s learning curve: How “The Daily Show” host plans to turn his “clean slate” into success

Salon talks about Trevor Noah’s learning curve: How “The Daily Show” host plans to turn his “clean slate” into success. I'm now more nervous.

“The fun part is the learning, and I think sometimes transferring that learning into a TV show and giving that to the audience is fantastic, like when you have a child, they learn new things and then you get to relearn it with them,” he added.

Take covering the recent Republican debates: Noah said he and his team worked together to figure out how to stay true to the show’s brand and to his sensibilities simultaneously. “For the writers, they’ve got a history with all of these people,” he explained. “I’m watching the debate and someone says something about something one of the politicians did 10, 15 years ago, and they’re like ‘that’s like the time that happened.’ And I’m the person going ‘why is that funny? Who is that person? What is important about that?’”

“What’s great about this is I think we have an opportunity to re-learn these instances,” he added. “I come in on a clean slate with a lot of the politicians, a lot of the news media outlets.”

In this model I shouldn't be the child learning or re-learning things. I'm glad he can bring a new perspective, and I could learn from that; but I'm apparently like his writers, and I don't want to be teaching him things.

No comments: