Monday, March 23, 2015

First and Final Frames

"What can we learn by examining only the first and final shot of a film? This video plays the opening and closing shots of 55 films side-by-side. Some of the opening shots are strikingly similar to the final shots, while others are vastly different--both serving a purpose in communicating various themes. Some show progress, some show decline, and some are simply impactful images used to begin and end a film."

First and Final Frames from Jacob T. Swinney on Vimeo.

The films shown are listed on the page. I didn't recognize a lot of them and then saw the titles and I'd seen the film (though I haven't seen Boyhood and recognized those shots). I suppose I can just enjoy the beauty of these but I wish he'd done more work for us, collecting similar examples together. I also wish there was a way to see the titles in the video (either another version or via captions).

No comments: