Thursday, November 14, 2013

Significantly Hotter

Marco writes “Significantly Hotter”

Many initially great-seeming products have obvious compromises and shortcomings in retrospect, and modern Apple devices aren’t immune to this. The first MacBook Air was painfully slow. The original iPad didn’t have enough RAM. The iPhone 4’s camera was very slow, its proximity sensor was flaky, and its home button wore out easily. And the iPad Mini’s screen resolution was embarrassing for a late-2012 midrange tablet.

At the other end, some products strike an amazing balance, are executed extremely well, and make significant progress from their predecessors while having no major drawbacks. Apple tends to make a lot more of these than most tech companies. I think the strongest examples among each Apple product family in the last few years as being noteworthy for the time and fantastic in retrospect are the 2010 13’ MacBook Air, the iPhone 5, and the iPad 2.

Maybe my Apple bias is because I've managed to pick well (never buy the first generation of Apple hardware). I have an iPad 2 and iPhone 5 and agree they're great. I think I can wait for the next iPad and I can easily wait to see what the iPhone 6 brings.

No comments: