Friday, August 02, 2013

RIP Michael Ansara

Michael Ansara Dead: 'Star Trek' Actor Dies At 91 "Michael Ansara, the actor who played the 'Star Trek' Klingon commander Kang in the franchise's TV show, died on Wednesday, July 31. He was 91."

I didn't realize he was the first Klingon. I saw his Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode, though I'm not sure I saw the Voyager one. "He is known as one of the only seven "Star Trek" actors to play the same character on three different versions of the beloved series." I am not going to start guessing who the other six are. I also didn't know he was married to Barbara Eden for 18 years.

3 comments:

Sparky said...

Let's assume the 6 don't include main characters. OK, without looking it up, I'm going to guess (by character name): Kang, Spock, Sarek, Worf. Does Majel Barrett as the computer's voice count? I'm spent.

Howard said...

You do realize that he was the origin of Phoebe's nickname?

Howard said...

From Memory Alpha: "He was one of eleven actors to play the same character (Kang) on three different Star Trek TV series. The other actors who hold this distinction are Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Mark Lenard, George Takei, Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis, Armin Shimerman, John de Lancie, and Richard Poe." They count the voices for the Star Trek Animated Series in the 70s so that's the first 3 (who also guested on TNG).