Monday, June 03, 2013

Back to Morimoto's

IMG 1214

Way back in the first year of this blog I wrote about a trip to Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant in Philadelphia. Last I week I went back with some friends. We did the $80 Omakase. I was good about taking pictures of each dish but it was harder taking notes on the descriptions (turns out that's easier with a pen and notebook then with an iPhone).

IMG 1525

It's a pretty place. All the blue you see, slowly changes color throughout the evening. My friends father did the electrical work in the restaurant.

1 Tuna tartare with scallop flakes

Our first dish was the same as last time. The Tuna Tartare with scallop flakes in a soy mirin sauce. It's fabulous. You put a little wasabi on your spoon and then get some tartare and sauce with each bit and it all melds together perfectly.

2 Hot oil carpaccio Suzuki striped bass

Second was Hot oil carpaccio of Suzuki striped bass. We all thought these first two dishes were the best.

3 Tuna Sashimi Salad with Mixed Greens

They called this course Tuna Sashimi Salad but I think it's described on their menu as Mixed Greens Tuna Tataki in a Shoyu dressing. Also very tasty.

4 Violet soda palate cleanser

The Fourth course was a palate cleanser and I'm not sure a palate cleanser should count as a course. This was violet soda and it did its job.

5 Seared Scallop in a Red Miso glaze

Fifth was a seared scallop in a red miso glaze with marinated vegetables. I'm not a huge scallop fan but this was good, particularly if you could manage to get all the parts together in one bite (not easy with chopsticks).

6 Roast duck with pineapple sauce

Sixth was a roast duck with a pineapple glaze. The two small squares are pineapple and I'm not sure if they were grilled or roasted. This was really good duck, not very fatty.

7 Sushi tuna yellowtail fluke flying fish squid

Seventh was sushi. From left to right starting at the top: tuna, yellowtail, fluke, flying fish, squid. The squid had a little texture to it but wasn't chewy, the others all melted in your mouth. I think the flying fish was my favorite.

8 Bavarian chocolate

I'm not sure what this desert was. All I got in my notes was bavarian chocolate. It had some layers, the green sauce was green tea and there were chocolate bits next to the square. Tasty, not amazing.

No comments: