Tuesday, May 07, 2013

10 Biggest Missed Opportunities in Star Trek History

io9 describes the 10 Biggest Missed Opportunities in Star Trek History "Next week, we rediscover our love for Star Trek. The classic space opera has had its ups and downs over the years, but it's always turned death into a fighting chance for life. Still, it's hard not to think about some of the amazing paths Trek could have taken. Here are 10 great missed opportunities from Star Trek's history."

It's not a bad list. I didn't know that Toshiro Mifune was consider to play a Klingon in a 70s Trek movie and I didn't know about the original plans for Star Trek III. I certainly agree that they didn't take Voyager's premise seriously and that Enterprise was just getting good when it was cancelled.

I didn't really need Eddie Murphy in Star Trek IV and while Tom Hanks might have been interesting as Zefram Cochrane, James Cromwell was very good, so it's hard to consider it a "missed opportunity".

And speaking of "missed opportunities", it depresses me that I don't really have much better uses for Wolfram Alpha other than figuring out How old was William Shatner in Star Trek: Generations.

2 comments:

The Dad said...

Regarding Wolfram Alpha, you obviously don't have a need to help a ten-year-old with her algebra homework. I'm finding it very useful as a way of refreshing my brain on how basic algebra is done. Of course she keeps asking me why she needs to learn this stuff, and as the problems get more complex I find it harder and harder to answer that question.

Howard said...

It's teaching her to think clearly and problem solve. Has she been using Khan Academy at all?