Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Beautiful Table

Jon Ferry created The Beautiful Table. "Several months ago, I began to ask this question about one of my passions: football ("soccer" to us yanks). I wondered if how we communicate basic football information such as standings, results, and schedule could be improved through design. So with a sketchbook and Macbook in hand and Tufte's sage words on my mind, I went to work."

Screen Shot 2013 03 12 at 7 13 51 PM copy

I find it interesting but it's certainly not obvious (which isn't normally a goal of Tufteism). The color coding is fine, but the dim parts I find too dim to identify the referenced team. I appreciate that top and bottom shows home and away games, but I find I want a row of one team to have the team in the same place. It might work better in baseball where teams play a series of games while home or away. As it stands it reminds me of morse code.

No comments: