Wednesday, March 06, 2013

The Argument for the AR-15

I'm generally in favor of gun control though I realize it has flaws. I see no reason not to insist on universal background checks. Assault rifles don't really make sense to me but I realize they're out there and banning them alone versus other guns probably won't make any difference. And they're difficult to define and people already have them and like them and target shooting is fun.

I saw a couple of pieces lately that seemed to be geared to me, that is trying to explain gun culture to the non-gun owner.

Jon Stokes wrote in Danger Room The AR-15 Is More Than a Gun. It's a Gadget

"This is the gun-as-gadget, a relatively new consumer phenomenon born from the unholy union of the post-9/11 national security state and America’s decades-old obsession with hackable, high-performance hardware. From muscle cars to motorbikes to ultra-high-wattage stereo systems, Americans love to take their toys way over the top, and for all its deadliness and terrifying power, the AR-15 is a terrifically fun toy."

And today I heard this nine minute piece on NPR's The Takeaway with John Hockenberry. 'Gun Guys' Challenges the Stereotypes about Firearms and Those Who Love Them.

No comments: