Thursday, March 21, 2013

Google Reader Joins Graveyard of Dead Google Products

Slate shows The Google Graveyard.

I'd heard of about half of them and a few of the deaths surprised me, but other than Reader I'm not going to miss any of them. And really the only thing I used Reader for was sync'ing. I think I used the web interface a total of two times.

I now get most of my news from RSS feeds. I see news first usually on Twitter, and I subscribe to a few magazines (print and digital). But each day, the way my dad sat down with a newspaper or two, I sit and go through my RSS feeds and blog the most interesting stuff.

I started on RSS with Vienna and NetNewsWire but once I got an iPad I wanted a product that kept track of what I read across devices. I follow about 400 RSS feeds and use Reeder on my Mac and iPad and occasionally on my iPhone. It, like most of its competitors used Google Reader as its backend. They tweeted that they're not going away but we'll have to see what their solution is.

No comments: