Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Blizzard

So yeah, we got a blizzard over the weekend. I got about 26" of snow here and basically just hibernated. One thing that struck me was how well prepared we were. We had a couple of days of notice and the weather reports were accurate. I did think that so many things closing on Friday was a bit unnecessary, but as a result I think the cleanup went smoother (and from what I've seen smoother than in CT where they didn't shut things down). So, yay. Now I just wish people would do better at shoveling their sidewalks. I've found that corner houses are particularly bad at it.

I didn't make this video (maybe next time) but I think it's from Boston. It's the drifts that were really bad.

Nemo Timelapse from jere7my tho?rpe on Vimeo.



Also, This machine helped predict the weekend's giant blizzard "The NPP satellite, which you see under construction above, is a polar orbiting satellite, which means it flies over each pole every day, circling through the planet's latitudes to get a complete picture of Earth's surface. It was indispensable in predicting the pathway that hurricane Katrina would take. NOAA recently retired the GOES-7 weather satellite after 25 years of work, so NPP will be one of our only satellites for predicting and monitoring Earth weather until 2017, when NASA/NOAA will launch their next-generation JPSS-1 satellite. Unfortunately, NPP is just a stop gap measure, and it won't last for more than three years. If anything happens to NPP, or if the JPSS-1 launch is delayed, we might lose our ability to predict extreme weather and warn people."

No comments: