Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Guns

I've read a lot of articles about the tragedy in Newtown CT and about possible policy implications. I don't have a firm opinion yet. The policy changes I think are reasonable, probably wouldn't have done anything to stop what happened in this case. I still think they're good ideas but there's a lot more I feel I need to learn before I'm firm in my beliefs. That said, here are some articles I've found very informative and interesting.

Paul Waldman: Ten Arguments Gun Advocates Make, and Why They're WrongDo Armed Civilians Stop Mass Shooters? Actually, No. "Five cases commonly cited as a rationale for arming Americans don't stand up to scrutiny."

Constitutional scholar Akhil Reed Amar: Putting the Second Amendment Second

WonkBlog: Everything you need to know about the assault weapons ban, in one post ""

WonkBlog: How the U.S. gun industry became so lucrativeHow Walmart Helped Make Newtown Shooter's AR-15 the Most Popular Assault Weapon in America

Jill LePore: Trayvon Martin and America's Gun Laws

Nate Silver: Party Identity in a Gun Cabinet

Erik Larson from 1993: The Story of a Gun

No comments: