Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Broken Media Payment Models

There, I Fixed It shows a way to fulfill a Monday Night Football Addiction without cable TV or even Over The Air TV. Verizon Wireless + NFL iPhone App + Digital Video Camera + Microphone + Bass Amp (not pictured) = Monday Night Football without cable TV! The iPhone NFL app prohibits direct output from the iPhone to the TV, but we’ve overcome higher obstacles than that to get to Live MNF."

NewImage

It's stuff like this that makes it so obvious that something is broken in an existing payment model and will change soon. I can't figure out the MLB blackout rules at all, let alone the other sports (which I don't really care about). Why can't I watch the Giants play when the Patriots happen to be playing at the same time?

Isn't the whole point of an advertising model to get more people to watch your show? I already pay a lot for cable and will watch all the commercials they air (well as much as I would with an OTA live broadcast). If the commercials particularly good I might even blog them if I can find them online and tell my friends about them. And why does it seem the only commercials worth doing so are aired during the Superbowl? Wouldn't it make sense to show good commercials year round?

I'm willing to pay for content, I'm not really willing to pay for the same content multiple times on different platforms. This week the Boston Globe started a new paysite that's pretty good. After a sponsored free period through the end of the month, it's $4 a week, which seems very reasonable. Particularly since it provide access on all the platforms (it's a good web app that looks good at all sizes). If the New York Times did that (they have the same owner) I'd subscribe in a minute.

3 comments:

DKB said...

I do know what "There I Fixed It" is about... but what moron wouldn't just buy a half-decent OTA antenna and get it in HD? If it's an issue about a locally blacked-out game, it's not mentioned in the original article. I guess it's just Rube-Goldberging for the sake of it?

Anonymous said...

Monday Night Football is on ESPN.

Howard said...

Yes, There I Fixed It is about poor ways to fix something broken. Duct tape is featured a lot.

MNF is on ESPN? And wikipedia says since 2005! Damn I'm old (and apparently out of touch).

So no, you would need to pay cable fees to watch the game, aside from something like this. Or going to a bar.