Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Only Take Tech Advice From Real Geeks

What did the iPad first remind you of? Was it the Newspad in 2001? Alan Kay's Dynabook? The Young Lady's Illustrated Primer in Diamond Age? Or was it the Star Trek PADD (even if you didn't know it's name)?

There have been a few apps that use the Next Generation look and feel in calculators or other things but now there's an official Star Trek PADD app. It doesn't do anything real like a calculator, it's just a toy with info on Star Trek and sound effects and it's $5. Fair enough.

But here's the part I don't get. If you review iPad apps, shouldn't you be familiar with Star Trek? Sure there's no requirement and I know The Next Generation was a generation ago, and iPad are used by more than just geeks, but if you were reviewing such an app, for a geeky app review site would you admit something like "I’m a Trekkie by no means, though I watch the odd episode." or "We'd be lying if we said we knew much about Star Trek." I wouldn't.

(And no I have no intention of buying the app.)

No comments: