Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Oscars

Nominees for the 82nd Academy Awards have been announced. Here are the non-short by number of nominations. Those with an * I haven't seen (there are 20):

9 The Hurt Locker
9 Avatar
8 Inglourious Basterds
6 Up in the Air
6 Precious
5 Up
4 Star Trek
4 Nine *
4 District 9
3 The Young Victoria *
3 The Princess and the Frog *
3 Crazy Heart *
3 An Education
2 The Messenger
2 The Last Station *
2 The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus *
2 The Blind Side *
2 Sherlock Holmes
2 Invictus
2 Fantastic Mr. Fox
2 A Serious Man
2 The White Ribbon *
1 Which Way Home *
1 Un Prophète *
1 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen *
1 The Secret of Kells *
1 The Most Dangerous Man in America *
1 The Milk of Sorrow *
1 The Lovely Bones *
1 The Cove
1 Paris 36 *
1 Julie & Julia
1 In the Loop
1 Il Divo
1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
1 Food, Inc.
1 El Secreto de Sus Ojos *
1 Coraline
1 Coco before Chanel *
1 Burma VJ *
1 Bright Star
1 Ajami *
1 A Single Man

I'm really glad for The Hurt Locker and am thrilled that In The Loop got a screenplay nomination. I wish Peter Capaldi got a supporting nod (certainly over Damon). I wish Where the Wild Things Are got something, but am not surprised. And A Serious Man should have done better, at least Cinematography (over Harry Potter).

Of the 5 films nominated for best foreign language film, I've only even heard of one (The White Ribbon). Of the docs nominated I've only seen Food Inc. and The Cove and I would have put The Good Solder over The Cove easily.

I have 20 films to see and I can't believe I'm going to see Transformers 2 (it got a sound nomination). Maybe I'll put that one off (though it's one of the few on Netflix now).

There are also 15 shorts nominated (doc, animated, live action) and I haven't seen any of them either, though theCoolidge will be showing them.

Best documentary short subject
China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province
The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner
The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant
Music by Prudence
Rabbit à la Berlin

Best animated short film
French Roast
Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty
The Lady and the Reaper
Logorama
A Matter of Loaf and Death

Best live action short film
The Door
Instead of Abracadabra
Kavi
Miracle Fish
The New Tenants

1 comment:

Shea said...

nooooo don't do it man, bashing in your brain cells in a fashion befitting Shea is a *much* better way to desecrate two hours.

if you don't believe me, read the following:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php?page=1