Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Village Theatre Project

Readers of this blog know I love movies and watch all too much TV. I also read a lot, enjoy graphic novels, am interested in information design and computer user interfaces. I like finding efficient ways to communicate information. Related to this is comparative media studies though I've never taken any courses in it. One thing missing from this list is theater, I just haven't been to many plays though I have interest in dramas and comedies (not so much musicals).

A (I guess former) co-worker of mine acted and directed community theater shows and I enjoyed going to his shows. He then got involved in The Village Theatre Project, a recently formed company of well-respected Boston area actors, writers and directors who wanted to work with people they got along with and with whom they could build an established relationship to make bettering their craft easier. Sounds like a startup company to me.

I was a bit surprised when my friend asked me to be on their advisory board when they relocated from Groton to Boston. I said I hadn't done such a thing before and he said but you love the arts and we need some new ideas. I couldn't argue with that. I've only been to two meetings so far but I do like the people. I also like that want to get to know and involve their audience and do things like theatre workshops and youth programs.

Their first Boston production will be May 8-17th at the Plaza Theatre at the Boston Center for the Arts. It's an original comedy called Better Off Dead (no relation to the 1985 movie) written by company member and 2007 Oscar Wilde Award-winning playwright Shawn Sturnick. They are hoping to give away 50 free tickets to each performance and for that they need donations.

Renting the space, sets, lighting, etc. all cost money. They're hoping to raise $25,000. The Village Theatre Project is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation and you can make a tax-deductible donation here. Who doesn't need a tax deduction in this economy. :)

If you're in the area (or even if not) I hope you at least come to see the show. I know I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: