Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Letter Sent to Rachel Maddow

Love the show. Your analysis and interviews are great. I just wish the production values of the show matched up with taking the issues seriously. You've cut down on the random beeping throughout the show and I appreciate that. Now could you stop the random *moving* background graphics. As an example, during your interview with Jane Mayer tonight I was trying to pay attention to what she was saying, but my eye was distracted by the following motions:

1. In the lower left graphic your name scrolled up and to the left
2. In the lower left graphic the red/blue border below your name scrolled down and to the right
3. Along the top of the screen a light blue inkblot pattern scrolled to the right
4. In the fully saturated blue background behind the both of you (say at minute 53) in subtle shades, giant letters spelling your name scrolled in a counter-clockwise arc to left.

The human eye evolved to notice motion. By putting these things into the show I'm drawn to see them. It's one thing to have a crawl on the bottom with text that conveys actual information content. You're encouraging me to look at background patterns. Let me pay attention to one of the better newscaster's on cable tv and her guests instead.

No comments: