Monday, January 05, 2009

My MacWorld Predictions

I'll keep it short because, really who knows?

There will not be a new tablet device. They still have to sell lots of iPhones and don't want to encroach that market. I doubt an iPhone nano. Some time in 2009 they'll announce an update to the 3G and perhaps a cheaper alternative (they want to sell 40 million this year). I don't think it will be at MacWorld, but at a different event.

No changes to the laptops, we just had them.

The MacPro will get a bump. The iMac might as well but I doubt it.

The MacMini will get a significant update. Perhaps getting larger to say mini tower size (or not). But I think there will finally be an alternative to an all-in-one iMac that uses an external monitor. Of course the video port will be the new one introduced on the laptops, so only the apple monitors will work with it (without an adaptor).

There will be an iWork '09. Small changes to Keynote, a few more to Pages, Lots of additions to Numbers. Still no macros, but more functions, capabilities, etc. iWork will not move to the cloud (MobileMe) but it will be easy to export documents to MobileMe accounts, websites, etc. I suspect iLife might get an update as well.

I like the idea of an apple media server built on the Time Capsule platform (a drive with an airport in it). Keep all your media on device at home and get to it from your desktops, laptops and iPhones from your home network. Like the Apple TV it will connect to your TV. I also like the idea that via MobileMe it will make your media available to devices you own over the internet. I doubt you'll just be able to login to your media from any device, like iPods now, you'll need to authorize specific devices you use.

When a tablet does come around, expect to access your MobileMe data and media server data from it. At that point expect better integration with iWork and MobileMe.

Update: This is pretty funny.

No comments: