Thursday, March 06, 2008

I'm Not So Old

I should have realized that just blogging my I feel old experience was an act of youth :) I appreciate all the similar stories people commented. Today I felt younger...

I needed two watch batteries, both CR2025. One for my car remote and one for a travel clock. I went to Radio Shack, because that's where you go for watch batteries. I arrived and there were four senior citizens in front of me and only one clerk in the store. I picked my battery from the display and got in line.

The first woman had some kind of problem buying a cordless phone. She was on the store phone with someone, the credit card company or a regional manager or someone, with some problem I don't know what. Fortunately it got resolved shortly after I arrived but I think she said she had been there for an hour.

Next was an old guy who asked to see one of the portable DVD players on the shelf behind the counter. Then he said it didn't matter cause he already owned it. He asked about there being an red LED that's on when charging and then another one being on when plugged in. After the clerk explained that there were two LEDs the guy said what he wanted was for it be louder. The clerk explained that was different and unrelated. The guy kept asking and conflating the two and the clerk eventually started to ignore him and help the next customer. The guy left, somewhat satisfied, amazingly. I hope he didn't get into a car to drive home.

The next guy bought two small batteries and couldn't decided if he wanted a Radio Shack credit card for the 15% off.
"It's a credit card?"
"It's a radio shack only credit card"
"I have to fill out forms and things?"
"No I do it on the computer, takes about 3 minutes."
"Ok"
"You'll need to give me your social security number"
"I prefer to write it down"

And after a little bit he decided against it and just paid cash. The last woman had picked out a watch battery and had brought the watch it was going into with her. The clerk was very accommodating asking if it was the right battery, that usually they took 377 batteries (or whatever). She said "it's a small one". He opened the watch, yup it was a 377. He then literally ran to the display, got the right one, took her money and installed it in the watch.

Then he got to me and my two batteries. He asked if I was sure they were right, I was. Did I want a radio shack credit card? No. Did I want something else? No just the batteries. Did I need a bag? No, this is fine. My purchase was quick and I wished him luck on my way out as he started helping the guy behind me. No way I could ever do that job.

2 comments:

The Dad said...

where WOULD we buy watch batteries if Radio Shack closed?

I've noticed that the more skilled RS employees tend to hang out in the back, where the various connectors, wiring gadgets, and other "early Steve Wozniak's Garage" type stuff are. That's where they will tend to find the more knowledgeable customers. The unknowledgeable ones usually only come in for batteries, iPod skins, or crappy TVs.

Anonymous said...

Not to rain on your parade, but the young people where all working at that hour and not at Radio Shack.