Thursday, March 20, 2008

Apple Airport Updates

I've previously complained that I wanted an update to an AirPort Express that used the faster 802.11n wifi because having a single slower g client would slow down the whole network. This week Apple updated the Express.

I've also previously complained that while Time Capsule is a good product I'd like to be able to use an external drive connected via USB to an AirPort Extreme for Time Machine backups. This week Apple released software and firmware updates that permit this.

I've since realized that I probably don't need the first. Since they're close, I can probably connect the AirPort Express to my FiOS Actiontec router via an ethernet cable and not need to make it a wifi client. This avoids the problem of having a slow wifi client on the network, though with the Wii, I probably need to keep a g network around. I think I can use the same trick and connect an AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule to my router via an ethernet cable as a client (I guess as a bridge) then use n to connect my laptop to my existing home network. The g and the n networks are separate but are connected. I'll give this a try soon. Now I have to decide if I go with an Extreme or a Time Capsule.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These recent upgrades seemed to have fixed the problems I have been having with Leopard and Airdisk - one week and no flaky Airdisk disconnects