Sunday, August 19, 2007

Pogue Rips on iMovie ’08

David Pogue in the New York Times writes Apple Takes a Step Back With iMovie ’08. "IMovie '08, on the other hand, has been totally misnamed. It's not iMovie at all. In fact, it's nothing like its predecessor and contains none of the same code or design. It's designed for an utterly different task, and a lot of people are screaming bloody murder."

It seems in their rewrite they removed a lot of features. Things like a timeline of your clips, visual effects, basic audio editing features, audio effects, plug-ins, chapter markers for iDVD. They added some new ones but it's a big change.

I never used the old one and I've played with the new one in the store a bit. There are some nice UI bits. If I had used the old iMovie, I'd be annoyed. Of course I'd still have the old one, and I'd probably continue to use it.

No comments: