Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Persieds

I went out the last three nights to look at the Persied Meteor Shower. I just went to a nearby open field so there was still plenty of light pollution and we had partially cloudy skies. But I did manage to see some. Mostly faint wisps that you weren't really sure were actually there. Tonight there were others nearby and I could hear them say "there's one" when I saw something too, so I knew it was there. I saw one real bright one though it was more towards the western sky than I was expecting. I saw another one there too but it turned out to be a firefly. I don't think the first one was. Really, it wasn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took the kids out Sunday night to watch, they got too tired before we could see any...

The Dad said...

We watched bats instead. We live too close to a main drag to see anything due to light pollution, however our neighbor has bats in their attic. At EXACTLY 9:04 each evening (I don't know why, but you can set a watch by it) they start exiting the attic vent for a night of frivolity and hunting. We set up lounge chairs yelling, "there's one! There's one!"

Pretty much the same as meteors, really.