Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Edutain Me

The word of the day is edutainment. I had never seen it before today. I saw it in the comments of this digg article, "dammit, mirror needed. i want to be edutained." (which I'm still laughing at).

It sounded derisive to me but wikipedia says "The noun edutainment is a neologistic portmanteau coined by Bob Heyman while producing documentaries for the National Geographic Society."

Wow, National Geographic, it must be good. I guess they were trying to copy something like Schoolhouse Rock or even Private Snafu and get more kids to learn, but it really does sound like a dumbing down of education to me.

3 comments:

The Dad said...

Up there with Scott Adams' theory of philosotainment. Personally, I think they are both perfectly cromulent words.

And, remember, a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Howard said...

Never heard of philosotainment either though I recently picked up Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes which seems to be the very definition.

grahams said...

Yeah, back when I worked at Sears in the mid 90s we had a whole Edutainment section of our software shelves.