Friday, August 10, 2007

Bush's Vacation Record

2 years ago I wrote Bush Breaks Record about his breaking Reagan's vacation record of 335 days over 8 years in only 4.5 years. There were no links in that post but it was probably based on this Washington Post article.

Now the Houston Chronicle reports Bush on track to become the vacation president. It says "The presidential vacation-time record holder is the late Ronald Reagan, who tallied 436 days in his two terms. At 418 days, and with 17 months to go in his presidency, Bush is going to beat that easily."

So which is it? 2 years ago we (hey I'm a blogger) probably confused this: "Until now, probably no modern president was a more famous vacationer than Ronald Reagan, who loved spending time at his ranch in Santa Barbara, Calif. According to an Associated Press count, Reagan spent all or part of 335 days in Santa Barbara over his eight-year presidency." Reagan probably spent 101 days vacationing not in Santa Barbara.

So from two years ago I apologize to Bush. You didn't break reagan's 8 year record in merely 4.5 years. It will probably take you 7.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say, good for Bush... he takes his vacation seriously and uses normal (IMO) amount of it. Average US vacation of 1 or 2 weeks is a joke and the president sets a good example here. Unfortunately, he is an idiot and casts a bad light on vacation time of normal amount...

Howard said...

Given that I don't think weekends count as vacations I'd say he's working about 80% of the time, or the equivalent of a 4 day week. I'm hardly one to talk, but I think many people would be very happy with a four day week. Well, except those trying to accomplish something. And I'd say US vacation is more like 2-3 weeks for salary positions.

Anonymous said...

Europeans have 4-6 weeks of vacation time. France and Germany, for example, have even more generous off time. Besides, I do not think that vacation time is reversely proportional with the rate of accomplishment. Finally, wrt/ Bush it does not matter if he vacations of not.

Howard said...

I know Europe takes more "holidays". I'm not sure about the productivity differences. WRT Bush, the most frustrating thing is that it's probably better that he is on vacation. I'm having a hard time that things are broken on so many different levels. It's why I haven't been able to post about the FISA issue yet, way too much of a rant.

Anonymous said...

Just caught a Daily Show episode with Cavuto interviewing Bush. I do not know what to think: on one hand this dude (W) will do better to take a permanent vacation, on the other - who will provide the laughing material?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous was me

Howard said...

Sounded like you :) I didn't watch at the time but my understanding was that the Daily Show was still funny under Clinton.

Anonymous said...

This time W said he fought both al-Qaeda and ... unemployed... When, hopefully, normal prez comes to power, John Stewart will have to work harder... Currently, he does not need to do much :)