Saturday, June 09, 2007

Domestic Spying Update

James Comey replied to Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-CA) written questions, you can read the 5 pages here. While helpful, I'm surprised that 4 times he said "I do not think it would be appropriate for me to reveal the substance of those discussions". The Washington Post has more on these answers but I honestly can't tell if they're sensationalizing them or connecting the dots that I'm missing. Their headline is "Cheney Urged Wiretaps".

Patrick Philbin, a Justice Department official "who played a key role in blocking the recertification of the NSA warrantless wiretap program" (he was in Ashcroft's hospital room during the incident) was going to be promoted by Gonzales to principal deputy solicitor general but was blocked by Cheney, vindictive soul that he is. FYI, the solicitor general is who argues the executive branches' position before the Supreme Court.

No comments: