Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Pureed Green Onion Soup

Tonight I made a Pureed Green Onion Soup I learned in my soup class. It came out pretty well and was easy to make.

In a large pot I sauteed in a little olive oil: 3 bunches of scallions, 3 leeks and 3 yellow onions, all chopped coarsely though I probably cut them smaller than needed. That was a lot of onions in the pot but eventually they started to soften and kinda turn translucent.

I added 5 cloves of garlic I put through a garlic press and sauteed a little longer.

I added 6 cups of (homemade) vegetable stock, 2 diced potatoes, some sprigs of thyme and a little white wine. I brought this up to a boil then lowered the heat and simmered for 30 mins for all the veges to get soft. I didn't peel the potatoes but next time I will, so they puree a little better.

I removed the thyme twigs (don't want to puree them) and then came the always fun immersion blender. Salt and pepper to taste, actually, instead of salt I used Better than Boullion which I learned to think of as flavored salt.

In class we made this and also another version that used red onions and shallots instead of the leeks and scallions. It was also good but had quite a different flavor. Have fun experimenting.

No comments: