Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Joys of Wisdom Teeth VIII

Sorry for not posting in a while. Every day I am improving. At this point I'm pretty good, I can open my mouth normally, my ear only hurts occasionally, I only take Tylenol a couple of times a day. My right jaw is still swollen to the touch but much less so than before. I'm at the state now where I feel pretty good but things happen that make me realize healing takes time. I'm able to eat pretty normally but can't take large bites and after chewing for a while my jaw hurts. Friday afternoon I sneezed a couple of times and that was not pleasant but today (Sunday) it's not so bad.

I saw the oral surgeon last Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and will see him again tomorrow. He's been good at monitoring me. I also saw my primary care physician on Friday just to check. He concurred that everything seemed ok and progress was good. The part that bothered me was the mystery about what had occurred and the idea seems to be some bacteria got in and settled in the soft tissue and caused an infection. The antibiotics are working, it's just a matter of waiting.

I also wondered how bad this would have been 200 years ago. They used to pull teeth, you just drank a lot to dull the pain. Infections were still around (and cleanliness wasn't nearly what it was, unless the alcohol helped) but there weren't antibiotics. My guess is, this would have turned out much different.

No comments: