Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Joys of Wisdom Teeth III

Ugh. So my mouth has gotten worse each day since I my tooth extracted. The swelling hit and and it wasn't that noticeable and still isn't, but if you touch it there's still a big difference from one side of my jaw to the other. Though that's getting less now as the swelling is starting to reach the other side. I'm on the Vicodin all the time now and the swelling is preventing me from opening my mouth very far. Eating is now a bit of a challenge as I have to carefully position the fork to fit between my teeth as far as I can open them. I tried to look in the mirror at the hole where my tooth was, but couldn't open my mouth far enough. I'll be going back to the dentist tomorrow, I'm not sure how he's going to see the hole, but I imagine it won't be pleasant.

I don't think I have an infection as I don't have a fever. The most common complication is known as dry socket which is when the clot is removed and while the symptoms kinda match what I'm feeling I didn't do any of the things that are supposed to make it more likely (smoke, alcohol, use a straw, spit, etc.). And the doctor saw me on Wed and said everything was fine.

I cancelled my trip to Dallas today. My jaw hurts when I stand up from the couch, I can't imagine what changing pressure would be like. On the one bright side, I've lost weight and am now at a new low :)

No comments: