Friday, December 08, 2006

Crackberries

Here's an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about Blackberry addiction. It takes the approach of children complaining that their parents are always using the devices and not paying attention to them. I used to use a Palm Pilot a lot but it wasn't wireless so there was no need to constantly check it. And I started using email when it was only accessible at work, I didn't have a computer at home until 2000. I guess I learned how to deal with too much email and how to avoid it, before having the added factor of having it portable and always with me.

I remember going to the beach with a few friends one day. One was a doctor on call who brought a cell phone. Of course she got a call and took some patient info over the phone and gave some instructions and then had to go into the hospital. At the time I said I never wanted to be that connected, but I realized that before cellphones she never would have been able to go to the beach while on call at all. Being connected does give you more flexibility but of course it also means that you're never away from work. There are lots of articles on this now and I'm sure in the next few years people are going to learn to just say no. For the most part, there's very little business stuff that can't wait a few hours if not a few days. But if you're trapped in that mentality, I'm sure reading that last sentence has made you say "you just don't understand".

No comments: