Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Today's Globe

I found the election coverage in today's Boston Globe both out of date and bloated, the web is better for the statistics and I found CNN et al better for the big stories. But I did find 3 interesting articles in today's Globe:

First on page A11 I learned that an Al Qaeda bomb suspect [was] sentenced to life in prison. This happened in London but amongst many other plots, he was plotting to blow up the World Bank in Washington DC and the NYSE. He'll probably be extradicted to the US for terrorism charges to add to the life sentence.

Then on page C5 there's a shorted version of a story I saw in last Sunday's New York Times called Supermarket chain's stars guide the way to nutritious eating. Hannford Brothers supermarket has rated all the products with 0-4 stars to rate "good nutritional value". Their system avoids what they call "the jelly bean rule, imposed to make sure that a food containing mostly sugar cannot gain stars simply by being beefed up with fiber or vitamins." Anything to try to teach Americans better eating habits.

I have to say, I agree with Matthew Gilberts Prescriptions for an ailing 'Anatomy'. I keep saying that this should is better than it has any right to be, and I hope it stays that way. It's good as a guilty pleasure, but it also has some very deep characterizations that's quite rare on TV.

No comments: