Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Fatwa Against Pope

A few weeks ago the Pope gave a now infamous speech in which he quoted a 14th century byzantine emperor who used Mohammed as an example about why spreading relgion through violence was bad.

So today I read: "Acting on behalf of the International Islamic Front (IIF) for Jihad Against the Crusaders and the Jewish People, which is headed by Osama bin Laden, the Markaz-ud-Dawa (MUD) of Pakistan, which is the political wing of the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LET), is reported to have issued a Fatwa calling upon the Muslims to kill Pope Benedict XVI".

First this reminds me of Monty Python's Life of Brian. Second, how dumb do you have to be to respond to the 600 year old claim your relgion is too violent by wanting to kill a guy now saying "Not to act reasonably is contry to the nature of God"? Third, I hope to hear moderate Islamic leaders decry this fatwa, but I suspect I won't.

No comments: