Friday, February 17, 2006

Halle Berry, Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year

Thursday I went to the Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year Roast. This years winner was Halle Berry. I've read about this every year I've been up here and always thought that would be fun to see. This year I did hear about the event beforehand and managed to buy a ticket.

At first I stood by the parade route which went about three blocks down Mass Ave into Harvard Square. At 2pm there were a few people standing by the start area, by 2:30 the whole course was pretty mobbed with people moving closer and closer into the street to get a view. As I walked down the block I heard a lot of different languages that I couldn't identify, and then I'd always hear "Halle Berry". I think half the people knew what was going on and the other half were asking what was going on. When she drove by it was pretty anti-climatic as it was very difficult to see her. I was more interested in the contraption driving in front of her car. A four row bleecher filled with photographers. Very strange.

The roast was done by two students and was very funny. They had a mock debate on whether Miss Berry was an action star or a dramatic actress. To resolve the issue, they put her through a few tests. One said the stunts were fake and weren't the only fake things in the movie. She took offense and made it clear saying "If I took my bra off you'd see how real they are." They brought out a guy dressed as a poodle and said he was Dogman, Catwoman's enemy. They made her defeat him in a dance competition. She won that handily and at one point the cat mounted the dog.

To prove her dramatic abilities they had her act out some scenes from Monster's Ball. The first was to talk her way into car. I'll let the small pic show you how she did. The hosts described it as unprecedented. In acting out the couch scene from Monster's Ball she basically gave him a lapdance.

They mentioned that she won Miss USA in 1986. She corrected them that she came in second. One pointed out that in '86 he was two years old. Ouch. The crowd turned on him for that. The other said second is like Yale. Then they had a the Hasty Pudding Beauty Contest. First they made her answer a question in her BAPS character. They asked something like what was the most serious problem in the world today. She said, "that fucking president, George W. what's that nigga's name?" They said that was also unprecedented. Then they moved to the talent portion of the competition and had her use a bullwhip on a poster of Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman. Before they would give her the Pudding Pot, they made her write "I will not make 'Catwoman 2" four times on a chalkboard. They wanted her to sign it but she wouldn't, instead she used Angela Basset's name.

It was very funny and surprisingly outrageous. She looked great, though very much like an everyday person. All right a very good looking everyday person. But it wasn't the glamour you see on a red carpet.

No comments: