Friday, December 09, 2005

New Research Proves HDTV Still Fuzzy for Consumers

I've had an HDTV for about 3 years. The picture from my Tivo looked good and a progressive scan DVD player was a big improvement. I got an HD cable box a little over a year ago to see the Summer Olympics in Hi Def. They were a bit disappointing in that they didn't show too much in HD and it was delayed, which not what you want for the Olympics. I'm still waiting for a Tivo that works with comcast HDTV (I know, it should be out first half of next year). I do watch some shows live (as opposed to Tivo) because they look so good in HD.

Now I know setting up HD is a little complicated between an HD capable set, an HD source, and use of HD capable cables, but this article says that many people buy an HDTV and don't even know they need something else (a different cable box with a subscription to HD channels, satellite, over-the-air receiver) to get real HD programming. How do you spend several thousand dollars and not understand what you're getting?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you stop using your Tivo and pay Comcast for their version for 10 dollars a month?

Howard said...

Because in comparison, it sucks. The interface is slow and ugly, and it can't do everything Tivo can do

Anonymous said...

But it records HDTV

Howard said...

Yep it does that. But that's not everything. A VCR can record TV, but Tivo does it 10 times better. I can wait a little longer for an HD Tivo that works from a cable box.

Anonymous said...

When was the last time you looked at the Comcast interface. The current version is 100 times better then the first one. Still not Tivo, but much closer.

Anonymous said...

Plus unlike Tivo every time they come out with a new box you get an upgrade for free

Howard said...

Still not Tivo. Plus, Tivo does provide usually free software upgrades of the service, downloaded automatically.

Anonymous said...

But they don't give you hardware upgrades. I started with a single tuner non hdtv box, now I have a dual tuner HDTV box with twice the capacity of the original. Soon it will be running some version of the Tivo software. I think the only thing that Tivo has that I really miss is the ability to network multiple boxes.

Howard said...

You're right about the hardware upgrades. But I got my Tivo about 5 years ago, for very cheap and got the lifetime option for I think $250 then. I've upgraded the hard disks (also cheap from a friend) to 300GB.

This review suggests I'd be frustrated. Wishlists and easy season passes would be big for me. As well as a fast easy-to-use interface. I don't use 30-sec skip as I'm skilled at using 3 fast-forwards and hitting play at the right time. Tivo is good about starting a few secs before where you hit play, accounting for the human delay. My guess is comcast isn't that nice.

Tivo Comcast should be soon enough.

Anonymous said...

It does not have wish list yet, but the season pass is very easy to use. You just go to the program on the interactive program guide and hit record twice. I use the 30 second skip 15 second back buttons to skip commercials(it is much faster then FF), but I believe it does rewind a little after regular FF. As far as the review the lag he mentions happens very rarely (once a month for me) and there an indicator light on the box.

Note: Comcast will soon have the Tivo software running on their boxes.